While in the Netherlands we sat down for a simple meal. The server came and took our drink order, still water for the Mr and sparkling for me. After receiving our drinks we ordered our food and once it came to the table we didn’t see our server again until we asked. At first we thought it to be odd, but then quickly caught on that they expected us to sit for hours if need be. To enjoy our meal slowly and maybe top it off with a dessert or coffee. There was no rush to it and to be honest it took a few meals to actually slow down enough to enjoy the pace of it all. We have come so accustomed to eating quickly and being ready for the next thing that I forgot how nice it is to just be. After we made it home I found Jenni’s Kayne new book, Pacific Natural, came in. I have been devouring it since. She talks of this slower pace and making moments of every day meals. Nothing needs to be extravagant just intentional. I know as the kiddos get older our meal times together will become more sporadic so for now I hope to adopt a slower pace at our table and make more of them feel special. Plus it gives me more of an excuse to pull out my Grandmother’s ironstone dishes that were passed down to me. To top it all off I added a charcuterie board. The cheese, meats and grapes were from Trader Joe’s. I always have pistachios on hand from costco. My favorite gluten free cracker is by Simple Mills. They are good enough for even those that gluten isn’t an issue, but keeps the whole cross contamination at bay. I buy mine from costco in bulk, but of course Amazon has them too when I am in a pinch. This red pepper jelly is my go to. It makes even the simplest of cheeses feel special.
1. Pacific Natural, a book by Jenni Kayne that has beautiful imagery and encourages us to make every moment special.
2. I always love having fresh flowers at the table. I bought a few varieties from Trader Joe’s and made my own bouquet, but if I am in need of something more special I love the varieties from Farmgirl Flowers.
3. This tray I use in the kitchen to corral all the goods I like to keep on the counters, but it would also look beautiful used as a cheese board. Just be sure to line it will parchment as it’s not food safe.
4. I could not find a single cloth napkin in our house. These I find to simple enough to match any occasion.
5. Candles always make the ordinary feel extra special. The organic nature of these makes me want to leave them out all the time.
6 & 7. I love a plate that borders on casual. These have a great texture and feel handthrown.
9. This tray, by Civil Stoneware, has so many uses. I use it for a good cheese board, but also use it by my bed to house my oils and such at night. The scoop is also used to scoop my coffee grinds. Love products that have multiple uses. This shop is also local which makes me adore it even more.
*some affiliate links used